Martha's Secret

Many of Martha's friends and teachers knew about her mental illness, but because mental illness still carries a stigma, she had a dilemma when the time came to apply to colleges,

She wanted to present herself as she was, but she also wanted to keep secret the full extent of her madness. She feared colleges would exclude her if they knew too much about her. So her college application essay, "In Praise of Knowledge," delicately balanced her dark view of the world with the cadences of rationality and a hint of hope--all in under 500 words.

The first two paragraphs present her vision of "a cruel and morally ambiguous universe," drawing on Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Nietzsche, paleoanthropology, news accounts of political torture, and her own experience of her peers' malevolence toward each other. But in the third and final paragraph, she finds hope in the beauty found through academic and artistic pursuits. Her essay ends as a paean to knowledge.

When Martha applied to colleges, my wife and I offered all the usual aids that parents offer children at that stage--SAT courses, college visits, professional help with her application. She turned it all down. She wanted to do it herself. Her college application essay was written with no help from us. I don't even understand parts of it: her use of differentiable functions as an analogy was meaningful to her but not to me, because she knew what differentiable functions were and I didn't. So the essay is pure Martha, and it got her into Columbia. Even though it hides a secret, it was still true to who she was.

Write a comment

Comments: 8
  • #1

Carissa Tollett (Thursday, 02 February 2017 06:52)

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can't wait to read much more from you. This is really a great website.

• #2

Brandi Kellog (Friday, 03 February 2017 02:54)

Superb blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Appreciate it!

• #3

Latoyia Didonato (Friday, 03 February 2017 05:31)

Wow, this piece of writing is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am going to inform her.

• #4

Darla Lones (Saturday, 04 February 2017 02:38)

I visited multiple sites except the audio feature for audio songs existing at this site is actually fabulous.

• #5

Isela Chaudhry (Saturday, 04 February 2017 18:30)

wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a emblem new reader. What may you recommend about your put up that you simply made some days ago? Any certain?

• #6

Chiquita Meli (Monday, 06 February 2017 17:37)

Thanks for any other informative blog. Where else may just I am getting that type of info written in such an ideal method? I have a venture that I'm just now running on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

• #7

Wonda Iversen (Wednesday, 08 February 2017 09:46)

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

• #8

Lindsey Napoli (Thursday, 09 February 2017 17:56)

It's going to be ending of mine day, however before finish I am reading this fantastic paragraph to increase my experience.